Sunday, May 3, 2009

Some unhappy despite changes

BY GLENN SMITH

The Charleston fire chief's office once resembled a shrine of sorts, each nook and cranny packed with artwork, plaques, photos and memorabilia celebrating the rich history of the "bravest profession." That's all gone now. These days, the space looks more like a war room.

It might be my warped mind but when I see "bravest profession" I think of prostitution. Thank you Glenn for making me think of whores as I eat my cereal. Odd quotes (that aren't properly sourced) can take one out of the story at times. Obviously it did for me.

Now let me point out which words Glenn had in his Scrabble-like lede game with his friends. For those who don't know this game, instead of letters, they pick words out and have to use them in their ledes. For example Glenn was kind of stuck with shrine, nook and cranny and war room (those are like the Q, X, and Z's of the Scrabble world) until he decided to write about the "bravest profession." Problem solved.

Is that the best headline we can use? Did we use all our magic in the lede that we couldn't spare some prose? Shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment