Sunday, May 3, 2009

Failing our students

BY DIETTE COURRÉGÉ

Ridge Smith hunches over a newspaper article, harnesses his concentration and focuses on the words.

He wants to prove how well he can read.

His wide, luminous smile disappears. His mouth slowly forms the words he knows. He stops again and again, tripped up on words such as "awkward," "August" and "local."


Come on. I mean, please don't give him the Post and Courier to read. I can hardly read this dribble but to make a kid who can't read and force him to read it aloud is just plain water-boarding-like torture. Which story features the words 'awkward', 'August' and 'local' in it anyway? It seems they are doing my job now for me in their own ledes. Sad thing is they don't know it.

Also, kudos to Ridge Smith for having the guts to tell the Lowcountry he can't read on a Sunday front-page story. I don't think Diette Courrege (I really hope they don't make him try to read this name) told him it would be a front-page piece, but its not like he's going to be able to read it anyway. What? Don't give me that look. Somebody had to say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment